WEST MIDLANDS OPEN DATA FORUM STEERING GROUP MEETING  WEDNESDAY 13TH JULY 2016, 16.45-18.15 AT INNOVATION BIRMINGHAM, FARADAY WHARF

~ A G E N D A ~

16.45    1)     Introductions, notes and matters arising of meeting 18/05/2016

16.55     2)     Updates on key issues

  • Open Data Commission           PR/TR
  • ODI node                              HR 

17.10    3)     Information Management Strategy in Birmingham City Council   AF

17.45    4)     Local Guide (copy attached) and Top10Tips (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q-PWYH0H63hiLkm3k-3m19Ms6aCZU9m-kgXCh1KS-0w/edit?usp=sharing)   – next steps        PR

18.00    5)     Members’ brief updates (round robin of items not on agenda)

18.10    6)     AOB and next meetings

If you have a lot to report at the meeting, please submit a 1-page summary to the Secretary which can be circulated with the minutes and agenda before the meeting

 

NOTES OF WEST MIDLANDS OPEN DATA FORUM STEERING GROUP
WEDNESDAY, 13th JULY 2016 AT INNOVATION BIRMINGHAM

ATTENDED BY:        Pauline Roche – Chair         (RnR Organisation)

Ted Ryan                         (RnR Organisation)

Chris Price – Secretary        (digiconsultancy)

Bethan Bishop                   (Heart of England NHS Trust)

Heike Schuster‑James         (BCC, Digital Birmingham)

Stuart Lester                     (Transport for WM)

Teresa Jolley, MSc             (Future Highways)

Glyn Simpson                    (Centro)

Gordon Telling                   (Transport for WM)

Andy Radford                    (BCC Transport)

Darren Wright                   (Inside Outcomes)

APOLOGIES:

Susannah Goh                   (BCU)

Ravi Kumar                       (Black Country Consortium)

Stuart Harrison                  (ODI)

Raj Mack                          (Digital Birmingham)

Heather Clarke                  (Wolverhampton CC)

Hugo Russell                     (Innovation Birmingham)

Nathan Coyle                    (Our New Union)

Jason Davies                    (WM Fire Service)

James Cattell                    (Cabinet Office)

Andrew Mackenzie             (Open Mercia)

Andy Fullard                      (BCC)

 

  1. The NOTES of the last meeting of 18/05/2016 were agreed. PR reminded members that if they wished to provide a major update, the prior submission of a one‑page summary would be appreciated.  It was agreed to share documents under development as Google Docs and to publish agreed documents on the website.
  2. UPDATES

Open Data Commission:  The first draft of the Commission document had been made available for comment that day as a Google Doc.  There was a discussion about its purpose.  It was agreed that the document and the Commission intended to influence/lobby decision makers and to persuade them of the benefits of taking the controlled risk of releasing data.  Illustrative of this, TR referred to a meeting RnR Organisation was having next week with the Birmingham Cabinet Member responsible for transparency, openness and equality.  It was suggested that, from the report, it would be useful to have a few key points (sentences) that leaders could use/pass on.  There was agreement that local successes would make the most powerful argument but recognition that few examples were currently available.  To this end it was felt that examples from elsewhere, especially other cities, were still useful.

Action:  All were requested to examine the document and, where appropriate, add and improve.  CP to make document open to amendment by all group members.

Birmingham ODI Node:  In HR’s absence PR reported that the local node was working to metrics set by ODI with regard to their training role.  Currently, James Cattell was a registered trainer and PR and TJ were in the pipeline.  ‘Free’ memberships to ODI had been offered by the node to identified individuals.  It was still early days for activities but reference was made to the successful Future Highways event organised by TJ and linked to the Birmingham node.

There was a discussion about transparency v open data initiated by SL referring to the task of writing a transparency strategy that he has been given by Transport for West Midlands.

Action:  SL to make drafts of the transparency strategy open for comment as he develops it over the rest of 2016.

SL focus was on travel data – responsibility for wider data for the WMCA lay with Jason Lowther, BCC Head of Corporate Strategy.  There was concern over the potential proliferation of infrastructure (servers) and tools/standards.

  • How can we achieve shared approaches across the West Midlands?
  • How can live data, eg travel, fit with historic extracts?

For travel there were ongoing discussions between the East and West Midlands (Midlands Connect) and TfL and with TfGM (Greater Manchester).  The role of the Regional Observatory (part of Marketing Birmingham) was mentioned and its link to WMODF would be discussed at the next meeting.  It was clear that more coherent business models for data providers and data users were needed.

  1. BIRMINGHAM CITY COUNCIL INFORMATION MANAGEMENT STRATEGY

Unfortunately Andy Fullard (Interim ICT Director of Birmingham City Council) had had to send his apologies but HS‑J offered to share what she knew about the city’s ICT and Digital Strategy.

Key headings were:

  • Integrated ICT and Digital Services
  • Digital Facilitation
  • Insight
  • Commissioning and Procurement
  • Governance
  • Innovation

The content (level 2) was being written by the end of July.  In response to a request to see drafts of the report, HS‑J offered to try to obtain approval but would share the part for which Digital Birmingham was responsible.  There was the intention for BCC to use national standards and to move to an economy of mixed suppliers.

In the current draft there was a sentence particularly relevant to WMODF: “There must be a presumption of permissiveness that underpins access to information as well as a pull for knowledge by decision makers”.

Action:  In response to Andy Fullard’s email that mentioned he would read WMODF documents, CP to email him to propose an early, informal meeting to provide him with background information. 

  1. LOCALISED GUIDE (TO SHARING PUBLIC SECTOR INFORMATION)

A copy of the document submitted to the Share‑PSI network had been circulated.  It was agreed to publish this on the WMODF website when it had been released

UPDATE: The guide is now released and published on the Share-PSI website https://www.w3.org/2013/share-psi/lg/UK/http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/digitalbirmingham/files/Share-PSI-Best-Practices-Localised-Guide-v1.1.pdf

TOP 10 TIPS

It was agreed that this document will change over time and so should be date‑stamped and reviewed at least annually.  The current version was lacking a local example (cf JD Fire Service experience).

There was concern about the language/terminology (as opposed to the content) of the tips.  There was a need to make it more punchy and BB and TJ (and others…) offered to review.  Different tips would be needed for different target groups.

  1. AOB / NEXT MEETING

AOB – PR reported that open data expert and Transport API NED Emer Coleman is moving from London to Co-op Digital in Manchester

DNM – the date of the next meeting will be Wednesday, 14th September.  Andy Radford and Gordon Telling agreed to join the steering group.  BB mentioned that she was leaving the Heart of England Trust but wanted to stay involved with the Forum, time permitting, and would be willing to lead a discussion on health data if Andy Fullard was unable to attend.

Action:  BB to seek appropriate link person in Health.

 

 

%d bloggers like this: