These are the notes of the Steering Group meeting held on Wednesday 27th March at Coventry City Council.

WEST MIDLANDS OPEN DATA FORUM STEERING GROUP

WEDNESDAY 27th MARCH 2019, COVENTRY

1.  INTROS, APOLS, NOTES AND MATTERS ARISING FROM MEETING 23/01/2019      
Attendance Pauline Roche, Ted Ryan, Glynn Simpson, Tim Healey, Daksha Piparia, Si Chun Lam, Ravi Kumar ACTION  
Apologies Heike Schuster-James, Teresa Jolley, Nic Carey, Peter Bishop, Hugo Russell, Charlotte Johns, Chris Price    
Matters Arising No matters arising not on agenda. PR thanked SCL for hosting this meeting in Coventry.    
2. UPDATES      
WM Office of Data Analytics Rebecca Riley now in charge of WM Office of Data Analytics at the West Midlands Combined Authority. She has issued a tender for consultancy support in Information sharing. Deft 153 leading a collaborative bid    
Open Data Day event, 1/3/19 – “Driving Miss Data” Successful event from a presentation and sharing perspective – WMODF Twitter Moment    
·       Ted Ryan presented another ‘annual rant’ concerning his view on ‘The Data we don’t know we don’t know’

·       Rebecca Riley outlined her ideas on a data eco system and where the WM Office of Data Analytics fits into that

·       Mike Rose presented about data silos and the need for porous silos

·       Tom Forth presented on transport data, TFWM passenger data

   
Proposed challenges were not followed though as expected but several discussions were initiated following the morning presentations. These discussions were to be followed up by the relevant individuals.    
Update on members use of Open Data +wishlists Used

·       GS: TfWM – general transit feed services, Real time data being fed into Google. New contracts to see if there is a possibility of developing an open source journey planner based on Open Street Map

·       TH: Coventry – developing access map for pharmacists in Coventry based on the City’s Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment

·       DP: Fuel Poverty hotspots (Western Power Distrib), Priority Services register

·       PR: publicly-owned assets Birmingham City Council disposed of since April 2016 (Bureau Local hackday)

Wishlist

·       Cycle, Swift data

·       Supply side of pharmacists data

·       Map data

·       EPC ratings

·       All regional charitable funders data

·       Any organisation funded by a local authority

·       Twitter (@MrSuperSprout): Bus routes, bus times spatially, empty and void properties, road traffic collision locations

   
ODI node No update on the current status    
Data Discovery Centre progress TJ wasn’t present due to working on Traffex so no report    
Open Data events Open Data Camp 2019 being planned    
3. PRESENTATION      
Coventry City Council:

Bringing it all together!

Building a citywide intelligence hub for place-based joint strategic needs assessment

Project aims to champion better decision making through increased access to data in a single city-wide performance management/intelligence hub    
CCC has access to large amount of data  
Using the Boston Matrix, aim to make better use of data and governance accountability  
Aim to make data usage agile, through an engagement platform/performance hub with meaningful impact  
Linked to Joint Strategic Needs Assessment response to Coventry Health and Wellbeing delivery, brings together data and service development  
Coventry has a place–based approach following the Kings Fund guidance of groups of 35k population areas  
Way of changing the consultation process.  
Using external data to generate comparisons  
Discussion: Issue for developing conversation about how VCS, community data can begin to be incorporated into JSNA platforms; WMODF can begin to explore how this can be done e.g. new London Cultural Infrastructure Map – plots the location of cultural infrastructure and enables user to view it alongside useful contextual data, like transport networks and population growth. Coventry has previously had a City Camp – possibility of a JSNA Hack?  
4. WMODF PLAN FOR 2019      
Update and potential demo project Action plan 2019 now available on WMODF website All members  
Agreed that WMODF should get some joint data published across the authorities (Strategic objective No.3)  
Various datasets proposed  
Action: Each member to propose a single dataset, with final agreement to be reached at May meeting  
5. MEMBERS’ BRIEF UPDATES      
Round robin of items and events not on agenda PR: 29th-31st March – Brum Service Jam, part of the Global Service Jam process taking place in Birmingham at Impact Hub Birmingham and Melting Pot    
PR: 8th April – Democracy Club SoPNDay party at Impact Hub Birmingham  
Charlotte Johns, Head of Local Economy, City of Wolverhampton Council (by email):

·       Wolverhampton are in the process of agreeing a new Council Plan, which includes a specific priority in relation to data.

·       The Black Country council’s research and performance/data teams have just restarted a network led by Delma at the Black Country Consortium. The first meeting was Monday, and I took the opportunity to promote the work of WMODF.

·       Positive meeting with the University of Wolverhampton Computer Science department a few weeks ago, who are keen to do more work with the council in terms of data with their students.

 
6. AOB and LOCATION AND FOCUS OF NEXT MEETINGS IN 2019

 

No AOB

 

Next meetings:

22nd May, Wolverhampton Civic Centre (to include networking lunch)

30th July, Birmingham [Note: July 30th is a change of date since previously announced]

 

Aiming to invite Rebecca Riley to 22nd May meeting

 

Action: Invite Rebecca to one of next meetings – PR [Update: Rebecca has accepted invitation to May 22nd meeting]

 

PR

 

 

%d bloggers like this: